Natural conception is every couple’s dream and Ayurveda can support holistically this issue of lack of fertility & causative conditions. Presently the fertility issues are on the rise owing to the food habits, emotional instability, lack of exercise, stress, lifestyle changes which cause unevenness of the Doshas. All these factors lead to imbalance in doshas of the human body, affecting fertility adversely and hence an ayurvedic approach addressing all these factors is needed to improve outcomes in Fertility.
Infertility refers to the inability to conceive even after one year of unprotected sex. Pre-conception treatments for both female and male are explained well in ayurvedic text for getting a better progeny.
Factors affecting female Infertility are:
- PCOS- Poly cystic ovarian disease leads to anovulatory cycles which is the main reason for infertility. It is aggravated by weight gain, insulin resistance, thyroid issues, high levels of prolactin and high levels of androgens and estrogen. Ayurvedic treatment for poly cystic ovarian disease are able to completely reverse the polycystic tendency and re-establish natural ovulation
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) – Genetic factors, immune system problem, hormones, Surgery, different types of bacteria can cause PID. Pain in the lower abdomen, vaginal discharge that may smell foul, painful sex, pain when urinating, irregular menstrual periods, unusual discharge from your vagina or cervix, abscess, tenderness or pain in your reproductive organ are the symptoms of PID.
- Endometriosis – Endometrium is the unique tissue which is responsible for menstruation. The exact cause of endometriosis is not known. Pelvic pain is the most common symptom of endometriosis.
A women can also have the following symptoms: Pain during menstruation, cramps one or two weeks around menstruation, spotting in- between periods, infertility, pain following intercourse, lower back pain. Although some women might not even realise they have endometriosis until they are examined & checked by a doctor when they find it difficult in getting pregnant.
- Hyperprolactimia – If prolactin level is high it may effect the infertility.
- Women’s age – As a woman ages age related harmonal changes affect fertility.
- Stress – There is a huge impact that chronic stress has on fertility. If a woman is undergoing through physical or mental stress it can hinder the ovulation which means she will either ovulate later than expected or not ovulate at all.
- Genetic abnormality of uterus/ ovum
- Uterine and cervical abnormalities
- Lack of nutrition
- Fibroids in uterus
- Fallaopian tube blockage or damage
- Thyroid problems- over active or under active thyroid can lead to hormonal imbalance
Poor sperm count plays a major role in male infertility. Male infertility issues are mostly sperm generation or sperm motility. Diabetes, Varicocele, discharge issues, tumour, hormone issues, deformities of tubules that transport sperm and so on also contribute to infertility.
Ayurvedic approach for infertility
Ayurvedic detoxification of the body, Strengthening and revitalizing appropriate dhatus in the female / male reproductive system, rectifying hormonal imbalances, managing obesity do help in correcting infertility.
Applying Panchakarma procedures along with special herbs will bring balance and revitalisation to the reproductive system. The uterus, ovaries, Fallopian tubes and the vagina are cleansed and hormones are balanced. Some of the main procedures include virechana (therapeutic purgation), Uttara vasti (uterovaginal enema) and vasti (colonic enema).
Ayurveda Recommends certain rituals of pre-conception for obtaining a healthy progeny.
Excellent result oriented medications that promotes fertilization, implantation and growth of an embryo.
Diet and regiment
We “Ayur Vijayam” offer this ayurvedic approach addressing all these factors and obtain very good results in treatment. This greatly enhances the rate of natural pregnancy in our patients.
Pre & Postnatal Care
Ayurveda is traditionally strong in pre and post-natal care, with a variety of interventions like specific herbal potions that are to be taken internally clubbed with external oil massages to support a pregnant mother and embryo by which it enables a hassle-free normal delivery.
It also offers a very comprehensive post-partum care protocol comprising of herbal medicines to help with lactation and medicines and oil massages to strengthen the pelvic muscles and back.
As the baby is fed thru the mother in the initial months the regimen advised by Ayurveda ensures taking care of both nutrition and protection to the baby through administration of various medicines. A mother who gets drained out due to breast feeding regains her health too.